Are you looking for an escape that’s out of the ordinary? Pack up your bags and step outside the box with one of these quirky getaways. From a caravan park suspended in an oak tree to an underwater room with a view of the fish swimming by, break away from the mundane and embrace the unconventional with these unique and inviting accommodations.
1. Liberate from the Ordinary: Uncover Surprises in Unexpected Getaways
Vacations don’t have to be just about the beach. Venture off the beaten path for an extraordinary experience! Uncover surprise getaways by liberating from the ordinary to awaken all your senses with unique, remarkable little-known locations.
Explore worlds of authentic cultural discoveries where observations of the universe are culturally accepted practice. Immerse yourself in traditions that have been passed down for generations.
Experience the sights, sounds, and smells of an undiscovered, yet accessible, paradise. Take a journey and create an excursion with plenty of opportunities for getting lost in the moment.
- Desert hideouts
- Camping in the bush
- Icelandic adventure tours
- Secret spots in the rainforest
Set up an off-the-radar weekend vacation for a meaningful, restorative getaway. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by life, discover the true relaxation and peacefulness found in unpopulated regions. Nothing better than sleeping with the stars in a magical location far away from hotspots.
2. Take a Walk on the Quirky Side: Enjoy Unconventional Accommodations
For those seeking a unique travel experience, taking unconventional accommodations is often worth a try. These getaways can be much more exciting than standard hotels or Airbnbs, and below are some of the quirkiest you can find:
- Stay on a ranch while traveling through the American southwest. Many ranch stays offer more than just typical bed and breakfast rooms – think horseback riding, hunting, and more!
- Rent a houseboat on a lake or ocean for a completely different view of the world. Some even come with a captain!
- Go glamping in yurts and treehouses throughout the world. Indulge in nature and breathtaking views without giving up the comforts you’d typically have at a hotel.
- Grab a few friends and stay in an surreal artist residence. From cabins to converted churches, these creative hubs often offer styles that standard getaways can’t match.
Often these types of accommodations are located off the beaten path and away from the hustle and bustle of overpacked tourist destinations. Take time to savor the sights, sounds, and surroundings that come with the unconventional stay. From French castles to remote Igloos, these types of adventures often become the highlight of the trip.
When heading out on a more out-of-the-box journey, make sure to check what services and amenities are offered, desired comfort level, and any other information that comes with staying in unique lodgings. You may just discover your new favorite home away from home.
3. Venturing Off the Beaten Path: Discover Novel Experiences in Unusual Settings
For those who prefer being off the beaten path instead of fitting in everyone else’s stampede, there are plenty of unique experiences to be had. When it comes to something as unique as the destinations you can visit or the activities you can partake in, are only limited by imagination—or by what’s available to you locally.
You may be surprised how much can be found simply in your own backyard. If you have been wanting to explore new cultures, look no further than the immigrants that have made your own city their new home. Learn about their customs, enjoy their cuisine, and shop at the local markets they’ve established. There’s no need to book an international flight; instead, take a quick bus ride or carpool to experience something that would be entirely different for you.
Perhaps you’re looking to venture further away than your own backyard. Consider looking into eco-tourism that is becoming more popular around the world, even within North America. Lodging and activities are built with nature and the environment in mind, giving visitors the unique opportunity to explore natural parks and waterways with certified tour guides, or to have the chance to interact with indigenous communities.
Find something unique to do wherever you are. From community gatherings to outdoor adventures, there are plenty of opportunities out there to take advantage of. Here are a few noteworthy activities you can partake in:
- Hike a challenging trail
- Ride a steamship or canal boat
- Attend an authentic cultural event
- Boating, surfing—or both!
- Camping—in a pre-historic style
4. Make Memories, Not Reservations: Embrace the Unexpected
There is nothing quite like the sense of surprise that comes from facing the unexpected. Sure, when it comes to traveling the world, it can be convenient and comforting to have an itinerary full of predetermined places, things to do, and reservations to make. But, all those momentous occasions and remarkable moments that stick with you for years to come are the ones that come without warning or pre-planning. Go ahead and be adventurous.
Say yes to those impulsive opportunities that arise. Take a chance on that surprise road trip and book a room in a place you never thought you’d explore. Go with the flow and marvel at what you uncover. Whether it be uncovering a particularly unique local dish, taking part in an unknown tradition, or becoming friends with a complete stranger; these will be some of your most valuable travel memories.
Embrace the unexpected elements that come up and genuinely immerse yourself in the culture.
- Take a risk: Go out of your comfort zone and try something entirely unknown.
- Follow your curiosity: Follow signs leading to unknown destinations.
- Throw caution to the wind: Learn to bail on plans during your travels.
- Leave yourself open: Stray off your itinerary and your predetermined expectations.
Spontaneous travel opportunities offer a unique sense of satisfaction, and can bring you to some of the world’s most magnificent places. Make memories, not reservations, and see the world in a different light.
5. Take a Break from Modernity: Follow Your Curiosity to Unexpected Places
Finding unknown but interesting pathways can be one of life’s greatest joys. Shaking up your routine with a dash of the unexpected can help uncover new passions and possible pursuits that had previously been forgotten. So why not throw away the map and take a break from modernity? Follow your curiosity, and explore the unknown!
Goats, trees, birds—open up your eyes and ears and discover what the world around you has to offer. Become an investigator and find something new right in your backyard. Who knows what you’ll stumble upon? Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Look up; study the shapes of the clouds
- Linger by a sidewalk café to take in all the conversations in different languages
- Check out the local farmer’s market – the colors of the produce can be eye-popping!
- Listen to the music of the wind as you stroll outside
The beauty of new discovery has the power of boosting energy, sparking inspiration, and nurturing the soul. Take the path less travelled – who knows what could be waiting on the other end! There could be a surprise respite that’s waiting just for you. Get out there, and embrace the joys of modernity responsibly.
6. Dare to Think Differently: Find Your Ideal Quirky Getaway
Breaking away from the same old holiday routines can be so invigorating. Visiting somewhere off the beaten track offers unique and quirky experiences that will stay with you long after the holiday ends.
Not sure where to look? Consider these peculiar places:
- Castleton Ghost Town: This is an old western town complete with a saloon, general store, and even its very own graveyard.
- Crater of Diamonds State Park: Believe it or not, this is an open mine field where visitors are allowed to find and take home diamonds! Scattered around the state park are plentiful campsites and trails perfect for hikers.
- Kolmanskop Ghost Town: This abandoned diamond mining town in the arid Namib Desert is world-renowned for its haunting beauty and captivating history.
Don’t ever let the fear of the unknown stop you from pushing boundaries and discovering something new. Think outside the box and whisk yourself away to one of these delightful destinations for an unforgettable escape.
So dare to quirk-out!
Channel your inner traveler and leave the beaten path behind — embrace the unconventional and let yourself be enchanted by these quirky getaways. Rediscover the power of surprise and explore these unique accommodations, knowing you’ve chosen an off-the-grid experience that puts the focus back on getting away from it all. Your next great adventure awaits.