Traveling the world is a way to connect with different cultures, customs, and perspectives. But one way to truly immerse yourself in a new culture is through music. From the captivating beats of salsa to the soothing swells of Tango, music has an incredible influence on travel. Let’s explore the Melodies of the World and the impact they have on our international journeys!
1. Revel in the Melodies of the World
Music has the unparalleled ability to cross borders and celebrate diversity. Whenever you immerse yourself in music from a different culture, you aren’t simply discovering new frequencies of sound but connecting with locals, learning from new perspectives, and experiencing cultures from around the world.
You don’t need to travel to a different country to explore international music either; the internet is teeming with content. From the thunder of taiko drums of Japan to the samba sounds of Rio de Janeiro, there is so much to discover.
Popular tunes to try:
- Jazz: Miles Davis, John Coltrane
- Irish: Chieftains, Altan
- Reggae: Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff
- Celtic Rock: Secret Garden, Runrig
- Russian Folk: Evelina Ganslandt, Arkady Severny
Go ahead and find a track from a different place. Discover what the rest of the world has to offer and truly revel in the melodies. Even if you can’t understand all the languages, there’s no denying that the style and soul of the music will move and stir your heart. Expand your music library and open your ears to a new soundscape.
2. Appreciate the Power of Music in all its Diversity
In these times of routine, it is hard to imagine life without music. Music has come to be an integral part of daily life, either when relaxing, studying or simply in-between. Music has been around for centuries, resulting in an incredible variety.
- Classical music can be used to relax and evoke emotions
- Country can take you to the heart of rural landscapes
- Rock may boost your energy and activate your senses
- And any other style you may think of carries its own unique message
Music has the power to change one’s emotional state, to break the ice at an awkward party, to start a revolution or even to inspire creative writing. At its core, music is a language that allows us to transcend age, cultures and languages. Music is a medium with the power to bring people together, be it during a concert stint, during a TV show or simply by listening to a curated playlist.
Music is ultimately a way of communicating emotions and ideas, and many have come to rely on it to compose their way through life.
3. Exploring Music’s Links to Culture and Travel
As with all forms of art, music reflects a culture and is a product of the environment in which it is born. A traveller is exposed to a variety of sounds that can never be experienced elsewhere. As a result, music often carries an emotional connection to the place visited, something that wasn’t felt before.
Cultural Influences on Music
Each culture has its musical identity that is often passed down generations. In that sense, music can be a representation of a culture. Consider traditional Irish music for example; it contains aspects of Irish folklore, poetry, language and dance. Travellers who binge Irish music during their trips abroad, can explore a range of different cultures through the music they hear.
Regional Differences in Music
When travelling in different countries, one can take the time to identify regional differences in music – differences that may neither be straightforward nor obvious. Differences can include the use of local dialects or instruments to create a unique sound. For instance, depending on where a traveller visits within the UK, they may reveal a diversity of genres such as Celtic music in Scotland or folk in Northern Ireland.
The Music Experience
The appreciation of music is subjective, but depending on the listener, the experience can also be shared and sometimes even enhanced when travelling. One can often find themselves in a local bar or pub listening to music that only comes alive in certain parts of the world. By joining in with the locals, whether its singing or dancing, travellers can truly embrace the region’s culture.
Finally, music can become more than just a form of entertainment when travelling; it can be a valuable tool to learn about a place and its culture. It provides the opportunity to connect to the locals and further explore a region, away from the established tourist spots.
4. Discover How Music Inspires Wanderlust
Music has a funny way of inspiring us to explore new places. It can create a certain sense of wanderlust that pulls us out of our comfort zone and allows us to discover all the amazing places the world has to offer.
We’re passionate about learning the stories behind the music from around the world, and how music can be a connection between us and its culture. From finding small towns that a long-forgotten folk tunes were created in, to soaking in the lively atmosphere of big cities where the famous songs originated, exploring how music can be linked to a specific place, isn’t only fascinating, but inspiring too.
Music is universal, in some way or the other it’s connected to the culture and traditions of a place. Visiting the places where music was born makes us understand the soul and true essence of the Spirit of Place. Music takes us on a journey to unlock the spirit of a place. Here are some tips to get you started in your wonderlust:
- Find a travelling musical festival – The best way to get a taste of musically inclined cultures, without actually travelling to the place!
- Learn the languages of the music – You can get even closer to the culture with a deeper understanding of the lyrics and tunes.
- Research cultural music influencers – Unravelling how music influences the places and cultures around the world will awaken the traveller in you.
Whether it’s the lively beats of a traditional dance festival or a bittersweet indie song that speaks to your heart, music helps us to connect to far flung corners of the world and encourages us to explore them.
So if you’re ready to dive into the unique, music-driven culture, put on your headphones and get inspired by the sound of wanderlust.
5. Fantastic Musical Exploration Across the Globe
Exploring the world’s music can be a rewarding experience – the culture, art and sounds of various countries are often unmistakable.
From divine Indian ragas, to the passionate flamenco of Spain and the dynamic African rhythms, exploring the world’s music has offered music fans an incredible experience. Here are just a few of the fantastic musical journeys you can take:
- Uzbekistan: As one of the oldest cultures in Central Asia, Uzbekistan has its own unique folk music. Uighur music from the East often melds with traditional melodies and mesmerizing Middle Eastern rhythms.
- Poland: Home to some of the most renowned composers, Poland’s music undoubtedly has an unrivaled emotional depth. Take a journey into the Land of Chopin, to revel in some of the most electrifying classical music.
- Croatia: Are you a lover of intricate polyphonic harmonies? Then Croatia is the destination for you. Croatian folk music is layered with vocals and instruments that truly give it an unforgettable character.
Take an adventure around the globe and explore the bewildering and jaw-dropping music of countless cultures. Your journey will never leave you disappointed!
6. Celebrate Music’s Universal Gift of Connection
Music has been known to bring people together. From the shared energy of a live band to the soulful ballads of a single singer, music inherently encourages connection. Here are six ways to :
- Break Out The Karaoke – host an evening with friends and family, pick up a microphone and put your vocal skills to the test.
- Organize A Jam Session – get together with some musician friends to organize an acoustic jam session in your living room.
- Go To A Concert – nothing brings people together quite like the shared experience of a live show. Buy tickets to an upcoming show and spend a night with friends.
- Take A Music Class – dust off that old guitar and learn how to play it. Take a class and make some new friends along the way.
- Turn Up The Volume – surround yourself with the sound of music, using it as a way to connect and share experiences with the people closest to you.
- Join A Community – join a musical community like a band, choir, or orchestra for a new appreciation of sound and collaboration.
When it comes to connecting people, music remains one of the most powerful forces. Whether through karaoke night or a jam session with friends, celebrating the beauty of music is a great way to embolden connection and forge friendships.
When it comes to travelling, music can often be the untold story, passing through countries, cultures, and across generations, far transcending the boundaries of distance. It’s in discovering these melodies, songs, and stories of the world, that we come to really appreciate and understand the effect that our journeys can have on our lives. So next time you’re packing for a trip, don’t forget to pack some tunes, and be prepared to discover a harmony you never knew.